Gaziantep is the largest trade and industrial center in the west of Southeastern Turkey. Culturally and socio-economically, it is the most developed city in the region. The University of Gaziantep was founded as a state university in 27 June 1987, but higher education on campus began as early as 1973 when the institute was an extention campus of the Middle East Technical University. The main campus is located at Gaziantep with its extention campuses situated in the neighbouring cities and districts of Adiyaman, Kilis, Nizip, Oguzeli, Besni and Gölbasi.
The University of Gaziantep has always tried to train its students as enlightened, research-minded, scientifically-oriented graduates of good character. The main objectives of the University are:
- - Cultural, scientific, technical, medical and vocational education and training,
- - Fundamental and applied research,
- - Development of perspectives with respect to social issues, responsibilities and ethics,
- - Technical, scientific and cultural exchanges with similar institutions at national and international levels,
- - Professional adaptation to our rapidly changing society and the world in general, with particular attention to European Higher Education Area,
- - Contribution to the development of Turkey.
University of Gaziantep is a state university institution subject to the same laws as those governing other universities in Turkey. It is supported mainly by state funds allocated by the Turkish Parliament. The administration of the University is implemented according to the Law on Higher Education. The formal head of the University is the Rector. The Rector implements the resolutions of the governing bodies of higher education, review and decide on the proposals of university boards and ensure coordination among organizations attached to the university. The University Senate, is the chief academic body at the university level and responsible for coordinating the academic activities of the University.
Assocations & Accreditation
The University of Gaziantep is an individual full member of European University Association. An Erasmus Pilot Project for student exchange was run in the academic year of 2003-2004. The University was awarded an Erasmus University Charter by the European Commission for the period of 2004/2005-2006/2007 and DS Label for the period of 2005/2006-2007/2008.
For more details see the International Relations Office / Erasmus page.